I was doing decent by the time I was in the room. The contractions were hurting but I wasn't dead yet. I even posed for a picture!!
Austin posed for one too! Look at that excited face!!
And then I was in pain again and my mom took a picture of that too. NOT posing. It looks like I really have to go to the bathroom. haha
But then I was comfy(ish) in my hospital bed. I liked that the TV was right in front of me. =)
Well I was doing decent and thinking I can make it through without an Epidural. My contractions were about 2 minutes apart and I was only dilated to a 2. UGH! "Serious?!" I thought. Since 5:30 this morning and I am only at a 2!!??
They started me on the pitocin to help get things moving. I decided to get a pain killer that helps to just take the edge off because my back was really starting to kill me at this point. I was in some serious pain now. My back was getting hammered by the baby's head and it was really painful. It really did help to take the edge off. I could actually relax a little.
Then a little around 4 i caved and got the Epidural. I was in pain. And I think I was only dilated to a 4 maybe. I still had a long way to go and the nurses were telling me it could be awhile. I caved. But you know what, as much as I didn't want to get it, it did help me to enjoy the next 7 hours a bit more. My lower back still hurt a little but it was like night and day difference.
Around 9pm I started to have major pains in my lower back again. The anesthesiologist told me that the epidural can't take that away unfortunately. I was so upset. Dumb modern medicine.
By 11 pm I could finally start pushing and that's when the epidural stopped working, almost completely. My legs were still numb but as far as my stomach I had one spot that was just killing me. The pain was so terrible I was paralyzed by the pain. I couldn't move and pushing was agonizing.
I pushed for a total of four hours. I was exhausted after the first 2 and was really struggling the last 2. My doctor and nurse were amazing. My nurse, Joleen, was one hard core lady in her early thirties that just kept pushing me to continue. My doctor, after multiple attempts with the suction device was ready to take me to have a C-Section. She was worried about me. The baby was showing no signs of stress (thank goodness) and it was me that had her worried. I couldn't seem to push right and she was unable to get a good grip on the baby's head to turn it and then pull it out.
All the nurses in the room were telling us that it had to be a girl because white boys are whimpy and don't do well with long labor. Their heart rates usually drop, so everyone thought it was a girl. Only our doctor knew what it was.
Nurse Joleen kept suggesting I keep trying different positions so that I wouldn't have a C-Section. By the third hour I was just so worried about my baby that I didn't care what they had to do; I just wanted him or her out safely and in good health. I was starting to really worry, but Austin kept reassuring me and he was there by my side the whole time being amazing and helping me breath when I needed to keep breathing. Joleen would tell me to calm down (I was bawling from pain at this point, I couldn't feel everything) and breath and to not give up. I remember her saying you're not done yet, keep going! You can't quit now, your baby is almost here! She was straight in my face being tough with me and that is just what I needed. She would tell me to breathe and I would look at Austin and he would breathe with me. I wouldn't have made it through with out him.
By 2:45 am my doctor was calling in another doctor who had forceps training. It only took 3 pushes with the forceps and our little baby was out. It was such an amazing feeling of relief to my body once our baby was out. I looked at Austin waiting to hear what it was that we had. Joleen had announced to everyone in the room that dad was telling mom the gender. (When our baby was born there were at least 5 nurses if not more and 2 doctors; my delivery was so popular! haha not.)
Austin looked at me with a big grin on his face and said, "It's a boy. It's a boy!" I was so happy that we had a boy AND that he was safe and healthy and alive. The nurses said that "he is NOT a wimpy white boy" and "he looks just like dad!"
Rulon Monore Brewer was born at 3:02am
Rulon was born with a full head of hair and cam out crying. He was not a small baby though. 8 lbs 7 oz. He was huge!!! The nurses were shocked that little me had big old him. I was surprised too!
My heart just melted to finally get to hold my little boy. But then when I saw Austin holding our little guy, I just melted even more. It was so sweet to see father and son together. =) I cried a little. =) It was such a wonderful feeling to have a new addition to our little family.
Grandma was also really excited. She did a little happy dance when she heard him start crying when he came out. She was there the whole time helping me and I am so glad that she was. It meant a lot to have my mom there, someone who understood what I was going through and could empathize with me.
And well the recovery was tough but that is not as interesting. We left the hospital on Saturday the 12th. It was so nice to get home.
I will write about that another time. I need to go check on the little guy now =)


No comments:
Post a Comment