Monday, February 27, 2012

Becca aka the meme

That girl...well do I have a story to share with you...(this is a long post)

Saturday started like any other saturday morning. We ate some really good breakfast that Austin made for me and watched some Darkwing Duck. We then gave becca a bath because she was really dirty and stinky. Then Austin went out and chopped the wood and I went and sat in the sun and read. Well we put the dogs in the fenced off area that we now call the yard and I sat on the porch watching them/reading. Well I looked up to see where they were and then went back to reading. About two minutes later austin came over to check on the dogs and guess what, becca was gone.

Lets let that sink in. Becca was gone and nowhere to be seen. Now also consider our house alone sits on 14 acres and our neighbors also have a ton of property and then there is BLM land around that. And our small little beagle that isn't taller than the sagebrush is missing. Oh....no.....

She went missing around 10:30-11am.

We both set out looking for her. Not together but separate. Austin took duke so 1. he wouldn't go missing and 2. he might be able to help find her. I took off in the opposite direction from him. I walked the entire fence line that borders the BLM land(I think) and that must have been at least a mile and austin walked the entire ledge like. She was no where to be seen or heard. I was trying so hard to control my thoughts(I always have the most awful thoughts of what I might find or not find when our dogs are gone).

Austin took the car and went up to 5th north and then came back down looking out over the land and then turned back around and went to the highway(That is what terrified me the most, all those speeding cars). Still nothing when he came back. He said that he did tell the neighbor children to watch for her and described her to them. I hadn't anything to report. I had been walking the whole time. When austin went out towards the canyon I went up the road. I walked all the way to the highway still with that fear of having to carry back her little body all lifeless and bloody. But I had to check. I would not stop till we found her one way or the other.

On my way back to the house austin was on his way up on his bike to go look down a dirt road that she could have gone down. Right there we said a prayer together. (Each of us had already said a dozen personal prayers by then but another one never hurts) He continued up while I went down to the house. I grabbed the treat box and took off again out to the open land hoping to get some response from my lost dog. After a long time of shaking that box still nothing.

With hope fleeting, I slowly headed to the house with every couple steps I stopped and listened. I could hear the birds walking on the ground. I could hear the rabbit slowly hoping. I could hear the bird fluffing its feathers. I could hear a raven over head flapping its wings. I could hear the wind rustling the trees. I could hear the squeakiness of an ephedra bush. I could hear something digging in the ground but I could not hear becca.

I looked at my phone, it was 1:15. My heart was breaking thinking about what might have happened. Austin came back and started to finish up his wood cutting real quick. I took off again towards the canyon nearer to the neighbors property. I listened to every sound, hoping to hear that collar jingling with her walk or the sound of her heavy breathing or the sound of her digging. Nothing...not a single sound that was hers. My mind started to play tricks on my by this point. I would think that I would hear something but when I would head toward the sound it wouldn't be anything.

The tears were starting to creep out. how could I lose my dog? Where could she be? What would I tell my mom? What if something has happened to her? I should have watched them better! How could I let this happen? What kind of owner am I? She doesn't even have an updated tag with our number or address! I am the worst person ever! I need to find her. I can't go home and rest till I find her...

So I kept walking. My feet hurting and my arms and face burning from the scorching sun.

I was out in the middle of nowhere not even able to see the house or the telephone wires. I was praying that I would see that little white tail of hers or that austin would call and tell me that she had come back to the house.

It was at 2pm that austin called me, I thought asking me where I was but to my great relief he said, " The neighbors boy found her. They are on their way to our house."

I almost collapsed with relief and happiness. My baby is safe and alive. She is okay! I dropped to my knees and thanked God for helping her make it back to us safely. My heart was overflowing with joy.

As I made it to the house they were coming down the road with becca in this little boys arms on the back of a 4-wheeler. Austin hooked her to a leash and talked to the boys about where they found her. (she had been found a couple miles away at the neighbors grandpa's house.) She came over to me wagging her tail and so happy. She was dirty all over(another bath I guess)! They said that she was actually heading back towards us when they found her. I am so grateful for neighbors as wonderful as we have. They didn't have to do that but they did. They cared enough to help us find her. What a blessing!

Austin went in a got all the kids a brownie. I am glad that we had enough for everyone =) Right when I brought becca inside my mom called.

My first thought was that she was calling to check up on becca(because I am pretty sure she misses becca more than me now ;) just kidding..sort of) and I was glad that she didn't call 10 minutes sooner because I would have had to tell her that becca was missing for the past 3 hours.

Luckily she had been found and I could say that becca was doing good and very tired. and of course I had to tell her the story now that it had a happy ending. =) My mom said that becca was probably heading to washington for a visit(becca was going north) but got tired and decided to turn around and wait for a car ride to washington instead =) Ha ha

That evening becca did nothing but drink water and sleep(which she is still doing now). That was a long journey for her. When I go to heaven I am going to watch where she goes and what she does for those three hours!!

In the end becca is safe and exhausted. My face is burnt while austin is looking more tan. And we walked at least a couple miles that afternoon. My feet are still a little tired but I am just glad to have both dogs again and that they are both safe and healthy. =)

1 comment:

Garry Raymond said...

I'm so glad you all got him back! :)